Saturday, October 15, 2011

We Just Can't Get Enough...

...Dinosaurs.

Ok, so Logan just can't get enough. We took him to Ogden to the Dinosaur Park, and we had a great time. They had some moving Triceratops and a moving T-Rex inside. Logan absolutely loved them. They also had your regular dinosaur museum stuff - fossils, skeletons, etc.

We got to talk to a paleontologist, and it was quite interesting. He was telling us about all of the new dinosaurs they've been finding in southern Utah. I asked how much they have to dig, and he said they are fairly close to the surface. I wondered why they hadn't been discovered until now, and he said that the locations are very, very remote. He let us touch some fossilized dinosaur skin as well as an Allosaurus tooth. He showed us a dinosaur jaw fossil, and you could actually see where the tooth roots had been. I found it kind of funny that a few of the things that he told us were things that we already knew... because we've watched so many episodes of the cartoon Dinosaur Train. (One was that most dinosaurs lost their teeth and grew new ones. Another was that they've recently discovered a new dinosaur in southern Utah and named it Cosmoceratops.)

The park also has several acres of paths outside with lots of dinosaur replicas. Logan loved seeing all of the different species!



Don't worry, the Triceratops isn't about to eat us. They're herbivores. :)


I have to brag about Logan with this one. It was a Deinonychus. He knew right away that the Deinonychus was the one with the sharp claw. If you look closely, you can see his terrible toe claw.





We were super lucky to have Grandpa and Grandma Peterson join us for this outing.


Logan was so glad that his Aunt Jackie could come along, too!

2 comments:

Jen said...

Deyce, your Lexi really does remind me of Holland! They would have such fun together... Well, at least we would!

Coach Jackie Peterson "Petey" said...

That was the most excited I have ever been about dinosaurs! Funny how Logan can do that to me :) Thanks for inviting me...I had a blast (like always) with you guys!! ALso...once again sorry about my name posting as coach, I need to change that!