Monday, November 7, 2011

Gratitude Challenge

A few of my friends issue a gratitude challenge each November. Think of 3 things that you are thankful for each day. We email each other with our daily lists. I've decided to include my gratitude lists here as well. So, here are the first few days worth...

Nov 1
1. I'm thankful for good books to read, and for great people whose lives make great biographies. (If you need a book to read, try Unbroken)
2. I'm grateful for a husband who took both kids for a while this afternoon so I could finish a few things that needed to get done and take a shower.
3. I'm grateful for the funny things that 3-yr-olds say.

Nov 2
1. Last night I dumped a huge tupperware of red soup all over the kitchen floor, the fridge, and my pants. It was a mess to say the least. But, I got it cleaned up and changed clothes and everything was better. I rinsed the soup out of my pants and slippers and threw them in the wash. This morning I was looking for my cell phone and couldn't find it. I resorted to calling it, and finally found it ringing...in the washing machine. I am grateful that I threw my pants in the wash but didn't start the washing machine last night. Whew!
2. I'm grateful when the sun comes out, especially when it's cold. It sure makes it seem warmer.
3. I'm grateful for leaves to stomp on and to have leave fights with, even when they are leaves in my own yard that really need raking.

One more for today: I'm grateful for whoever found the library book that we left at church at returned it to the library for us. After checking the lost and found a couple of times and not finding it, I was pretty sure we were going to be buying the book.

Nov 3
1. I'm grateful that it felt warm out while we raked leaves this aftn.
2. I'm grateful that Logan still takes naps - without complaint and sometimes even voluntarily.
3. I'm grateful for good water pressure from the kitchen faucet. After at least a year without (long story), it's great to have it working so well!

Nov 4
1. I'm grateful that Lexi was so good at volleyball today because that meant I got to play several games.
2. I'm grateful I got to see Mandy (who's going through chemo) at volleyball today. She brightens my day.
3. I'm grateful that Logan sat on the toilet twice today. The results weren't so thrilling, but the fact that he sat on it without screaming, hey, it's a start.

Nov 5
1. I'm grateful for warm fires on cold days.
2. I'm grateful for Kate, a girl in my ward who really came through on a last minute assignment.
3. I'm grateful for yummy food. Tonight's dinner: chicken gnocchi soup and garlic bread.

Nov 6
1. I'm grateful that we didn't have a house fire last night. Before getting in bed I wanted to check the space heater in Lexi's room to make sure it was turned on. Garrick then said that he'd already turned it on but wasn't sure if he'd done it right, so I decided to check anyway. When I went into Lexi's room, it smelled funny (not really burnt funny, but just weird). The heater was warm but not on. The room was also warm as if the heater had been on. I unplugged the heater and as I did so, I noticed the plug was hot. One of the prongs was kind of black and then I noticed the plug was kind of melted. Yikes! That heater is going out with the garbage today. I don't know what happened - whether it was a heater malfunction or if something is wrong with our outlet (I'll look into it) - but I am SO grateful that we didn't have a fire start in little Lexi's room.
2. Inspired presidency messages in first Sunday RS.
3. Picnics by warm fires in fire places. (Logan's idea)

1 comment:

Jen said...

I am grateful for YOU, Deyce! My life is richer because I know you. 14 years ago today... I returned home from my mission! I feel old. But grateful!